Sobremesa Short Churchill Cigar Review

With some crazy, unseasonably warm weather to kick off Christmas weekend - I couldn't resist but to get out and try one of my favorite blends in a new vitola - the Sobremesa Short Churchill.

Pre-light of Sobremesa Short Churchill

Sobremesa was the debut blend from Steve Saka's venture, Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust. Saka is pretty much a living legend in cigar circles. He is perhaps known most for his time at Drew Estate where he is credited with bringing some of the most popular cigars among American aficionados to market like the Liga Privada No. 9 and others.

The Pre-Light

It's tough not to like the classy look and feel of the Sobremesa Short Churchill cigar. With a Ecuadorian Habano Grade 1 dark rosado wrapper, it's medium toned in color and quite elegant.  At 4.75" with a 48 ring gauge, this isn't a large cigar but it feels deceptively thick in the hand to me. Typical notes pre-light include cedar and given my affinity for the Corona (Cervantes Fino) I was curious what the slightly more husky Short Churchill would deliver.

The cigar itself is comprised of tobacco from four countries - Nicaragua, Ecuador, the United States and Mexico (binder). 

First Third - Sobremesa Short Churchill

Sobremesa Short Churchill cigar review
I had no problems lighting up the stick and the draw was incredibly smooth - something I've come to expect from Dunbarton's line-up. There's something about these cigars that make them feel like a true premium --- it's tough to explain but when the draw provides just the amount right of resistence, there's a certain polish that comes with the experience. It's sort of like driving a luxury sedan versus a Kia... not that I have much experience with luxury automobiles.

The cigar itself started off fairly mild to medium bodied in terms of strength. Saka himself told the Cigar news site Halfwheel that the Short Churchill format actually was re-blended because of it's unique dimensions:

"Rather than just regard it as a 'gotta do it' and just produce it, I decided to take the opportunity to revisit the liga and tweak it specifically for this short plump format. Although it remains true to the core blend, it is slightly increased in the strength department which I find extremely palatable."

In the first third there were notes of cedar and what I would classify as cocoa. While other reviewers also found subtle nutty notes - I wasn't able to pick these up. There is a creaminess to the blend which I may have confused with the cocoa.

Second Third - Picking Up the Flavor

About an inch and a half in, the notes started to really pick up along with the body of the cigar. I don't consider myself a brilliant cigar mind or perfect palate but this was where the Short Churchill departed from the Sobremesa's other vitolas. 

The construction quality remained consistently good, no surprise given the performance I've seen with the others in this blend. All of Dunbarton's cigars are produced at the Joya de Nicaragua facility in Nicaragua.

If you're a guy that's into ash - no issues there either. Pretty sturdy and noted about an inch and a half of ash before it fell off. This is during a walking smoke too so the jarring of my footsteps generally keeps ash shorter than if you're relaxing with a stick.

Final Third - Consistent to the Finish

In my opinion the profile stayed pretty consistent from the second-third to the finish. The increased intensity remained in place. Some report notes of cherry that creep in as you make your way to the foot - I couldn't find that fruity note. But the cocoa remained pleasant and overall, the draw remained fantastic. 

While a lot of smokers will appreciate the bolder flavor profile - I honestly enjoy the more mild Sobremesa formats to this stronger Short Churchill. For money money, the Cervantes Fino and Churchill are hands-down the best of the Sobremesa blend. That said, the Churchill is still a very good cigar and for the $7-$10, you could do a lot worse. It's one I'd definitely smoke again.

Have a good Christmas!


Comments