Apple's Stand on Privacy

If you've been around to the social media sites at all today, you've probably seen this.


The link is a letter Apple's CEO, Tim Cook, wrote. The company is standing up to the Federal Bureau of Investigation and will essentially be protecting the phone records of the couple involved in the San Bernardino.

"The implications of the government’s demands are chilling. If the government can use the All Writs Act to make it easier to unlock your iPhone, it would have the power to reach into anyone’s device to capture their data. The government could extend this breach of privacy and demand that Apple build surveillance software to intercept your messages, access your health records or financial data, track your location, or even access your phone’s microphone or camera without your knowledge." - Tim Cook, Apple

There is a part of me that's conflicted, but largely I agree with Apple's position on this. If the government isn't smart enough to break Apple's encryption - shame on them. Further, the potential for government power to be abused is incredibly high if Apple were to bow down to the FBI.

So what part of me is conflicted?

If Apple has the technology to outsmart our government and protect what most of us once assumed to be private information - what the heck took them so long to stand up to the government.

I use an iPhone exclusively for my telephone conversations. Can the NSA hear my conversations? I assume so, since it's a Verizon network I'm calling through. My text messages and internet activity? Probably the same.

If privacy matters then let's make it matter for everyone who has a right to it.

If it doesn't, let's not showboat with a letter pretending it does.

Comments