Dancing with Crowned Heads' Tennessee Waltz

One thing that's kind of amusing to me about the cigar industry is the concept of "limited edition" cigars or "exclusives".

For instance, regional releases that are only available in certain parts of the country.

Basically, people creating scarcity for their product.  It's an old marketing technique that psychology claims to still work but it cracks me up. Seems a bit gimmicky.

Oh, and those "limited edition" sticks that were manufactured in 2010 and still haven't sold out? Yeah, they're really driving up demand by telling me it has only taken 5 years to sell...

Why do I mention it? Well, because of the Crowned Heads' Tennessee Waltz cigar.

The cigar itself is only available in Tennessee. Odd, right? If you have a product that's awesome, why only allow consumers in one area enjoy it (purchase it, use it, while you profit off it). 

Gimmicks or marketing strategy aside, a few thoughts about the Tennessee Waltz, which really is a fantastic cigar.

A look at the Tennessee Waltz cigar by Crowned Heads
The distinct orange band has "Tennessee" written all over it.

About Crowned Heads

If you haven't heard of Crowned Heads as a cigar brand, you're certainly not alone. They are a boutique producer (means low-volume... or at least allegedly low-volume). 

The company itself is based in Nashville, Tennessee. Because, you know, Tennessee is pretty much the epicenter for tobacco growing and cigar activity! :) 

Most of their cigars feature filler tobacco from Nicaragua and from what I can have been exposed to, their construction and smoke-ability is absolutely first-rate. 

The Tennessee Waltz - Construction

Upon picking up the stick out of my humidor, the weight of the cigar struck me. It's heavier than what I expected. A 5.5 x 52 sized stick, I'd call it a gordo but I haven't seen anywhere that Crowned Heads officially names a size for these sticks so I could be mistaken.

Appearance-wise, the stick is fantastic. Seems to be well constructed and looks like class.

I had a small tear in the Connecticut Broadleaf wrapper of my cigar that could have been caused when I removed the orange band from around the stick. I suppose orange was pretty fitting for the Tennessee Waltz. But a checkerboard orange and white design would have been an even better homage to The Volunteer State.

The Tennessee Waltz blend is actually produced by My Father Cigars - in Esteli, Nicaragua.

The Smoking Experience

Tennessee Waltz First Third

I can't say enough about Crowned Heads - the draw was fantastic. While I struggled initially to get a good light on the cigar, I think that was because of my lighting technique more than the cigar.

I recently picked up a big Colibri cigar torch lighter that's been somewhat challenging to use without overheating the cigar so I attempted to display more finesse this time around. It might have led to not enough flame actually hitting tobacco.

I enjoyed this stick on my back patio on a night with medium-humidity and temperatures in the high 70's.
video


In terms of taste - I picked up a bit of spice right from the start. It kind of surprised me to be honest and I was afraid this was going to deliver too much for my tastes. It was downright rude in its entrance into my mouth.

What was happening? I'd found the other Crowned Heads' offerings to be so balanced. How could this cigar bearing the name of my home state be so harsh? 

But... the spice quickly died off to my delight.



Into the second-third of the cigar, I noticed some espresso or possibly mocha notes enter. This was awesome and I was really starting to enjoy the experience. At this point, I'd say there was a little bit of citrus in the flavor profile. I'm not sure what to call it, it wasn't really orange and it was sour like lemon. It was different and I liked it.

Conclusion

These sticks aren't cheap at $10 a pop or so in my local brick and mortar. Would I smoke this again? Absolutely. Did I get as much out of this as I would some of the others from the Crowned Heads line-up, like the Four Kicks? Probably. It's a wash, I really liked the cigar but for the money, I'd probably lean toward some of the cheaper offerings from the company.

Oh, and what the heck is the Tennessee Waltz named after? It's one of the official state songs of Tennessee but certainly isn't as catchy as Rocky Top. :)

Comments