Espelt Garnacha Review - Spanish Wine

Photographic evidence that I am indeed watching a baseball game.
Lazy Friday night here at the house, catching some baseball (Pirates/Reds) and enjoying a bottle of Spanish Garnacha from the folks at Espelt.

A fairly potent red, this particular variety comes from the Northeast section of Spain. A place I've never been but wouldn't mind visiting. I love the fact that their website loads in Castilian.

Image courtesy: Espeltviticultors.com
I'm not a wine snob but I do enjoy a good glass of red wine. I'm going to try to do a better job of articulating what I like and don't like about various wines. I think it'll help me get out of my comfort zone and routine of drinking Chilean Carmenere nearly every weekend.

I thought about taking this review nice and slow and letting my intellect evaporate as the bottle slowly disappears. Rather, I'll stick to just a pair of glasses while I'm in the cockpit here, keyboard in hand.

Garnacha or Grenache (they're the same thing) are some of the most popular red wine grapes planted in the world. Popular among U.S., French, and Spanish growers these grapes are notorious for coming from awful soil. Take slate and then somehow remove any hint of moisture and that's the type of environment these grapes come from. That strength is evident when you start sipping.

This particular Garnacha is aged for four-months in French Oak and you can taste a bit of that smoky flavor. I'm not a big fan of the smokiness but it definitely helps give a softer, fuller flavor with each sip, which I can appreciate.

The label claims that there are some black fruit aromas and I think I can taste a bit of that. It's fairly smooth without a ton of bite. With some cabernet sauvignon I definitely get a sharpness to the taste that I'm not a big fan of.

Somebody dripped right down the front of the label.
This isn't the best wine I've ever tasted but it's certainly not the worst. Worth jumping out of my comfort zone and a good wine for fall. If pairing with food, I'd suggest holding off for when you first start to feel a little bit of bite in the air and the start of fall.

This wine would pair well with a pork roast and either beef or pork stew. Given the alcohol content (14%), you definitely need a food pairing that can hold it's own against the mighty Garnacha.

Comments